2019-20 Marañón Waterkeeper is focusing on:
- Legal Analysis & accompanying media campaign with a view to annul the Chadin II and Veracruz dam concessions.
- Analysis of landholders and accompanying rapid biological inventory surrounding Marañon Libre Conservation Area, with a view to protect larger areas of native forest in the Marañon Valley.
- International Media Campaign to protect Amazonian tributaries being lead by Waterkeeper Alliance.
- Assist CITA-UTEC to complete their baseline studies on the Upper Marañón with local knowledge, logistical support and communications.
- Continue to promote the need for a A Full Biological Inventory of the Marañón River.
- Legislation that will create protections for Peru’s most important rivers.
- Continue to educate people about why the Marañón is so important and grow the local movement to protect it. Watch Confluir film!
- Continue to promote responsible tourism in the area and prompt the Peruvian authorities to recognise this as an important resource in the region.
Join us to protect the Primary Source of the Amazon River and one of the most unique ecosystems on the planet!